Friday, September 26, 2008

Ups and DOWNS of harvesting...

Oh, the ups and downs of harvest. And in this post, I'm talking more about the downs... read on. Today while Dale and Shaun were cutting soybeans near Buhler they accidentally took down a power line... oops! Here's the short story... Dale was unloading beans into the cart and when he was putting the auger out/down (not sure which one), it got caught in the power lines and it pulled the lines down, snapping the power pole. Thank goodness no one got hurt! God's protection amazes us. Dale calmly got out of the combine, hoping that he would not get electricuted. It left black marks on the auger and bent the auger up, taking one combine out of action for the day. See below. By this evening, they had gotten a new auger, but it was too short, so it wasn't much help. So much for finishing that field today. At least they can fix these things on their own and not have to take the combine to a shop to be fixed.
Shaun cutting beans

The black marks from the electricity

The downed power line/pole
Shaun, Dale & Dorel putting in the new auger



The bent auger, oops!


On another note, I started working on a class blog today. We are supposed to develop a class web page by January and I found the school website way too complicated. So I decided to go for the blog instead. We'll see if I can keep up with 2 blogs! Come check it out... http://mrsortmans1stgradeblog.blogspot.com/. The only thing I'm not happy with is the limitations on font. Anyone have any suggestions to get cute fonts? Can you mess with the HTML? You'll notice I did figure out the slideshow. Maybe I'll put one on here sometime.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to know how you have so much time for centers? With the required 90 minutes or more of math and 120 minutes of reading, it seems like we have no time. My kids also go to art and explorations (science)on top of music and PE. That way we get our required plan time and collaboration time.

Shaun & Kaitlen Ortman said...

Shaun said it looked like all they were doing was playing, but they only get 15 minutes of center time a day (and some of those were from indoor recess when it was raining.)

Huxman Family said...

Kaitlen, your 1st grade blog is awesome! I'll have to talk with you about this website thing for school --- since I've been gone I have no idea what you are talking about and I'll have to get moving to get it done by January. Also, I need some help with the backgrounds on our blog because I love how you are changing yours and how they look.