Thursday, March 19, 2009

Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley's in Shipshewana, Indiana!

So I gave my students this project over Spring Break, and of course I said I would do it too. I can't give them homework and not do any myself! We read the book Flat Stanley last week and created our own Stanley's or Sally's to take on adventures. If you haven't heard of Flat Stanley, you're missing out. In the book, Stanley was squished by a large bulletin board and discovered being flat wasn't such a bad thing. He could go slide under doors, fly as a kite, and be mailed in an envelope.

Anyways, the students were supposed to take them on 2 to 5 adventures and journal about them in their "Travel Journals." We are then going to have another class in the school do something with Stanley and then send them to our Pen Pals in my sister's class in Topeka.

So here is my Stanley posing for a picture with an Amish horse and buggy. He's getting VERY tired of shopping- but I'm not!

3 comments:

Alan and Kristen said...

Just one quick question, does Stanley have a different colored head and one arm? Or is that what you call a sun tan?

I think we'll be keeping the Stanley's and Sally's at school because I don't think they would all come back if my kids took them home.

Anonymous said...

No, he's all the same color. It's just the shadow from the vehicle and the lamination that makes him look that way. I'm hoping all of my Stanley's and Sally's come back so that we can send them to you.

Anonymous said...

Our kindergarten kids did Flat Stanley, launched balloons, then send their flat people to someone special, and they have been getting mail from all over the world about where they have been. Thank you for your support and friendship to my kids. It is very reassuring to me to have them surrounded by genuinely caring (and helpful)people! fh